Polity One-Liners for various competitive examination
Thank You for landing the Polity section page.
Here are some important Polity one-liners for students competing for various exams
Watch some of the important Polity Bits below.
1- The Parliament consists of the President and two houses the Lok Sabha (house of people) and Rajya Sabha(Council of states).
2-The Parliament is the Union Legislature of India.
3-Article 79 to 123 in Part-V deals with the provisions of the Parliament.
1–Lower House of the Parliament is called Lok Sabha and it is also known as the first Chamber.
2- Members of Lok Sabha are directly elected by the people.
3- Total membership is fixed at 552 by the Constitution. Their distribution among the States and Union Territories are as follows-
* 530 representatives from the states.
* 20 members from the Union Territories.
* 2 Anglo Indian members nominated by the President if such community has not been adequately represented
* Term of Lok Sabha is normally 5 years but it can be dissolved earlier by the President.
* Its term can be extended beyond 5 years by the Parliament. This can be done during the proclamation of emergency (Under Art 352).
* The Speaker presides over the Lok Sabha.
* Speaker and Deputy Speaker are elected by the members of Lok Sabha
* The Speaker continues in his office even if Lok Sabha is dissolved.
* He/she holds the office till the new Lok Sabha meets
* Deputy Speaker performs the duties of the speaker if the office of the speaker falls vacant.
* If the office of the Deputy Speaker is also vacant, duties of the Speaker shall be performed by a member of the house appointed by the President.
* If the Speaker wants to resign, the letter of resignation should be addressed to the Deputy Speaker and vice-versa.
* Up to the 10th Lok Sabha, both the Speaker and Deputy Speaker were usually from ruling party
4-Constitution 61st Amendment Act (1987) has reduced the age of voting from 21 to 18 years.
Watch more Polity here
Watch Current Affairs section for here
(Visited 31 times, 1 visits today)